Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Trip Home

I left India at 2:00 in the morning on Tuesday morning. The airport was packed at this time. I learned that most international flights left at this time, which means you land first thing in the morning if you are heading back towards Europe.

The first leg of my flight was on British Airways. The business class section had the lie-flat seats that alternate, so I was actually facing the rear. This first leg, from Delhi to London Heathrow, was 10 hours. I managed to get about 5-6 hours of sleep total.

We landed at Heathrow, and I quickly went through immigrations, customs, and met a driver outside to take me to Gatwick Airport for the next leg of my flight. I was a bit nervous because I had a relatively short turnaround between trips, but we had arrived a little early and traffic wasn't as bad as I had been led to believe.


After checking in and going through security, I headed straight for Starbucks. I had been drinking tea the entire trip, so this was a real treat.


The second leg of the trip, from Gatwick to Dallas, was another 10 hours. I watched a couple of movies :The Flying Scottsman & In the Land of Women. The Flying Scottsman is about Graem Obree, an amateur cyclist who breaks the world 1 hour record using a bike that he made. He helped revolutionize the geometry of bicycles. I missed that last part of The Flying Scottsman because they had to reboot the video server system.


The rest of the trip home was uneventful. Kerry and the kids met me at the airport - I was glad to finally be home with the family.

No comments: