Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My Time in India (Tues)

I've been here for a day and a half now...still without my suitcase. It is supposed to arrive tonight, but as always there are complications. I tried giving them my address to have the bag delivered but I never felt that they understood English well enough. And tomorrow is a national holiday, so certain roads between states are closed, and if I want to go to the airport tonight traffic will be absolutely awful. So I called in my Indian contact to give me a hand. I"ll know shortly if my bags are coming to my flat.

Yes, my flat. The two guys from Britain who live upstairs are having an affect on me. We almost started watching Crickett tonight, but the Indian help turned it to the WWE so we are watching a 20 year old wrestling match between Hulk Hogan and someone else.

These guys have a cook, a driver, and someone to help clean up the flat. And that is pretty standard. They are here for the long haul so it makes sense. Right now we are waiting on dinner. If my bags don't arrive shortly, I will have the driver take me back to the airport.

Driving around town is interesting. Stripes on the road really don't mean much, and there are just as many motorcycles, bikes, and pedestrians on the roadway as cars. And then there is always the occasional cow (I have only seen 1).

The food has been OK - nothing that required Pepto yet.

Tomorrow we are leaving at 4:15 to catch a train to Agra. We are going to visit the Taj Majal, an old Fort, and some other tourist attractions. I'm really looking forward to the trip. I actually think I will get as much work done tomorrow on the trip because I will have uninterupted time with Satyaki, my contact who knows the most about the project.

I will hopefully have pictures from tomorrows trip in the next few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see an update! I can't wait to see pictures.