Friday, January 18, 2008

A Long Way Gone

I started reading 'A Long Way Gone' by Ishmael Beah on my trip to Louisiana. I'm in the airport now waiting for my flight. It is the true life story of a 12 yr old boy who was separated from his family as they fled the rebels in Sierra Leone. He later was picked up by the rebels and forced to join and fight with them (I haven't gotten to this part yet). He eventually was rescued by UNICEF and now lives in NY.

This book really makes you appreciate all you have, and makes you wonder how you would handle a life like this. It helps put the daily problems we face back into perspective. It both makes you sad and gives you hope.

One of the things I would like to do in the future is travel more. I love fiction, day-dreaming, and sometimes I wonder what it would be like to start over and dedicate my life to helping people in other parts of the world. Then I come back down to reality and question how can I make a difference where I am now, with what I have.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Strickland said...

Hey man -

I read this one in December... actually, that is kind of a lie. I listened to it as a book on CD :-) which was really interesting, by the way, because it was read by the author. Hearing him speak adds another dimension to the story he is telling.

One of the things that really struck me was the "detox" and rehab process they went through to cleanse the brainwashing.

Anyway, hope things are going well! ~ Jeff

Robert Rose said...

did you buy the CD or download from iTunes or another site? Buying a CD is so old school, unless of course you need uncompressed music.